Monday, March 8, 2010

Learning A Lesson

It was my second day at work, and everyone had to be at the office at 7am for the conference call. A few people had to stay for the safety meeting before going to work. I don't know what Phil had planned for that day, and I wasn't sure if I stayed for the safety meeting. "All track supervisors will meet in the bay area for the safety meeting, everyone else go about your daily tasks," Phil said. We went through a slide show about doing our job efficiently and be safe doing it. I knew a lot about safety, but safety on the railroad is much different than safe anywhere else. Before you get out of the company truck to do anything on the track, you have to put on your hard hat, I have a white one, vest, and gloves. The one who has the white hardhat is the foreman, or leader. Second, you have to make sure the train dispatcher knows you are working on the track. You can fill out a track warrant, track and time, or Form B, this helps you stay safe. What I didn't know was, if another track employee has track authority at the place you are working, you can use their authority to do what you have to do. I always go a track warrant either way, but now I don't have to, now that I know. If you don't take anything from this, take this with you. Don't race a train to the crossing, even if you tie, you lose.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow. I would say that is a very important lesson to learn. I liked the moral...tying with a train would be JUST as bad as losing to one.

    ReplyDelete